Kiss FM’s Harriet Rose has never been to the Pride Parade, despite being a member of the LGBTQ+ community
– I’m so excited for my first Pride Parade, because I don’t know what to do. I’ve never been to a Pride Parade, because I’m always working, and this year, finally, I’m here, and I’m so excited, because I think it’s the UK’s most prestigious Pride event. Brighton is where it is. There’s a big, big, huge LGBTQ+ community here, and I can’t wait to be among them.
I’ve been out for a long time, but I wasn’t too proud to be out. For a long time, I didn’t feel part of the community, so it’s a little nerve-wracking, because this is the first time I’m really immersing myself in such an important part of gay culture, because it’s so important that we celebrate pride. Celebrate, because there’s still a lot of injustice, and a lot of abuse against the gay community, the LGBTQ+ community, and in that sense, I’m a little nervous, because I don’t want to cry. But maybe I’ll cry with joy. Let’s hope it is a cry of joy, not a cry of sorrow.[INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC PLAYING]
I can’t believe I’m actually in the Pride Parade. This is my first Pride ever, and I’m walking the actual parade. People are probably like this, who is that girl? Well, I don’t care either![INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC PLAYING]
First impressions, it’s better than I expected, by a million miles. We are in the gayest city in Britain, being the most gay we could possibly be. What more could you want? This is my vehicle. Even the driver is having a good time! This is the kind of energy you are bringing to Brighton Pride today, and I love it.
This is my first pride.
Babe, this is my first Pride![INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC PLAYING]
Oh my God guide! Pride’s Girl Guide! Yes, Guide of Pride! Yes! Yes! Yes ! I used to be in Guides! I was kicked out, but don’t worry about it.[INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC PLAYING]
What’s your favorite thing you know you’ll get when you attend a Pride ceremony?
– Well, we know we’re going to see an incredible diversity of LGBTQ+ people. We are of many different shapes, sizes, colors, races, whatever, but together we stand united in the demand for LGBTQ+ freedom.
Tell me a little bit about what Brighton Pride means to you. Like, what’s a vibe?
– So, for me, it’s just about inclusivity, like, everybody just coming together, celebrating, everybody just coming together and having a good time.
– What about you, babe? How excited are you for today?
– I’m so excited for today. This is my favorite day.
– The vibe is great! This is rainbow. Pardon me! Because I want a family, and that’s great, and now it’s calm.
very nice! That was my first pride, and it couldn’t have been better. I laughed, I cried, I went through a real roller coaster of emotions, because this is such a beautiful event. Everyone was so happy, having such a great time, and I’ll be back. You can’t get rid of me now, hun. I will be here every year. This is an incredible event. If you haven’t gone yet, honestly, you have to come down. I met some of the most incredible people today. All I have to say is Happy Pride, everyone![INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC PLAYING]